Ahh… ceviche… so fresh, light and fragrant. Often enjoyed as an appetizer, this amazing dish makes for a cooling dinner after a day in the Florida sun. No cooking is required, just chop, mix and wait for the lime juice to work its magic and “cook” the seafood. A nice glass of crisp white wine or an icy cold light beer really rounds out the flavors.
- 1 lb fresh, skinless white fish such as snapper, bass or halibut cut into 1/2″ cubes
- 1 1/2 c of fresh lime juice
- 1 medium white onion diced
- 2 medium vine-ripened tomatoes chopped into 1/2″ pieces
- 1 or 2 jalapeno peppers stemmed, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/2 c chopped cilantro
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Tortilla chips
In a glass or stainless-steel bowl combine the fish, lime juice and onion making sure that the fish is completely covered by the juice. Cover and refrigerate for about 4 hours. To check if the fish is done, break open a cube and make sure that it no longer looks raw. When the fish is thoroughly cured, mix in the tomatoes, jalapenos, and cilantro then add salt and pepper to taste. Serve with tortilla chips and a smile!