Quick Spanish Paella
Spanish Paella is a rice dish that varies depending on the season and available fresh vegetables and meats. The complex flavors of a well-prepared Paella belies the easy of preparation of this one-pot wonder. We make the recipe even quicker by using pre-prepared ingredients that can be cooked over a campfire in a cast iron dutch oven or on the stovetop.
- 1/2 cup of high-smoke point oil like canola, peanut or safflower oil
- 1 lb of protein (peeled, de-veined shrimp and 2 chorizo sausages cut into chunks is a great combo). There is a phenomenal vegetarian Chorizo Sausage available for non-meat-eaters.
- 1 1/2 cups of liquid (vegetable or chicken stock adds a lot of flavor
- 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) of diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 box of Spanish Rice like Zatarain’s
- Garnish (chopped fresh parsley, small fresh tomatoes or peppers)
Heat the skillet on medium heat. Add the oil and saute the protein until it begins to brown. Add the 1 1/2 cups of liquid and the can of undrained diced tomatoes. Bring to a boil then stir in the box of Spanish Rice and cover. Reduce heat to low and simmer 25 minutes or until the rice is tender. Remove from heat. Let stand 5 minutes then fluff with a fork and add your toppings such as chopped fresh parsley, small tomatoes or chopped peppers.